Friday, January 13, 2012

Cherry Kolaches

I felt it only appropriate that I follow up my sister's post about eating prudently and not getting fat with a pastry recipe!  I'd like to see any French woman eat these cherry kolaches in moderation, with their tender dough, creamy danish filling, and tart fruit topping.  I myself ate a half dozen before putting on a bra today.  (Notice I didn't say pants.  The bra still fits; the pants don't.)  I think it is safe to say that I will never make the pages of Mirielle Guiliano's book, but then again, I'm Swedish.  Instead, maybe I'll write a book called "Swedes Stuffed by Sweets."  If I do, this recipe will make the first edition.  Our sister Hillary (sandwiched between me and Miriam) first brought this darling of a recipe to our attention, and it has had a special place in our hearts (and mouths) ever since.  It may be a traditional Polish treat, but it seems to have international appeal.  Enjoy!

Cherry Kolaches

1 cup sour cream
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Heat the ingredients above in the microwave until butter melts and sugar dissolves (1minute or so).  Let mixture cool.  Meanwhile, mix the following and set aside:

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar

When the sour cream mixture has cooled until it is lukewarm, place it in your Kitchen Aid 
(or favorite mixer) and add the following:

2 beaten eggs
4 cups flour
yeast mixture

Mix dough until all the flour is incorporated.  Let rise until it has doubled in size.  Punch down and divide into 36 (egg-sized) balls of dough.  Roll the dough until it is smooth in your hands and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Indent the center of each dough ball with the back of a soup ladle.   Let rise for 20 minutes.  Add a spoonful of cream cheese mixture (below) in the center of each kolache.  Top with a small spoonful of pie filling or jam.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes (or until edges are barely golden brown).  When kolaches have cooled, drizzle almond glaze over the top.

Kolache Filling

8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla

*pie filling (any flavor) or your favorite jam

Almond Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cream (add more if necessary)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract


8 comments:

  1. I love Kolaches......And I'd love for you to share this recipe at my first linky party @CountryMommaCooks starts tonight at 9 central....ya'll have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful your pictures! The Kolaches looks so delicious that I will prepare it somewhen this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma gave me a recipe for Czech kolaches and she used to make 4 fillings: cream cheese, poppyseed, apricot, and prune! Saw you on country mama cooks. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cherry kolaches look incredible! They would be good for a treat on Valentine's Day, one of my favorite holidays of all. Jess is the baker of the family. She would love these.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for really making me "laugh out Loud" with your post! You are too funny! These Cherry Kolaches are beautiful. I will definitely put this on my list of things I'd like to make this year. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are being featured @CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet party....Stop by and pick up a featured button....Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! We would love to have you come share this at our weekly link party every Saturday! -The Sisters
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...