Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Anne of Green Gables: A Well-Marked Herb Garden

"Do you remember that evening we first met, Diana, 
and ‘swore’ eternal friendship in your garden?"  
~ Anne of Avonlea

For years I've had a spot of dirt that was aching to be loved by something other than weeds and the offending dog.  I decided that I would channel my inner gardener and create an herb garden.  After spending all of my money on necessities like irrigation, mulch, plants, and cute gardening gloves, I stood back to admire my work.  


Instead of savoring the aromas of lemon thyme and pineapple sage that wafted from my garden, I frowned.  What my little spot of paradise needed was a set of lovely garden markers, but my budget was gone.  As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.  I looked around at the pile of stones I had pulled from the garden and thought how perfect they would look in my garden with a little facelift.  (Then again, the same could be said of me . . . )

First, I took some acrylic paint and gave two coats to each rock.  


Then, with sharpie in hand, I simply wrote the names of each of my herbs on each rock and embellished it a bit.


I nestled my little markers in the garden dirt, and neither the rocks nor I have ever been happier.


Linking to

9 comments:

  1. Neat idea. I love your rock area also. I took wooden spoons, painted them, then painted what was in the pot on them and sealed them for my pots...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be something in the air. Yours and mine because I also started a Herb Garden. But I don't trust my dogs to stay clear from it so mine is still some experiment in vases but I'm proud of the green finger I sense growing :shesayshopefully: ahahahahah

    But THAT air, again, gave me the sensation that Mother Earth when sighing of pleasure at my attempts :shesaysmodestly: might not know I was the one doing it so I've been babying with the idea of adding personal and quirky details. I was thinking of a sweet fence where I would write the herbs planted in the enclosure... Yours is so much better. Love the stones! And the cute gardening gloves I should've thought of.

    Wishing you a lovely bounty of herbs and that spot sure demands for "‘swore’ eternal friendship".

    Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just absolutely love that idea!! I need to make some markers for our garden and this would be perfect. I could even have my kiddos do them to get them involved! Thanks for the great inspiration and I'm so enjoying your "Anne" series. :-)
    Vanessa
    P.S. Have you ever read "Among the Shadows" by L.M. Montgomery? It has such a wonderfully spooky element to it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your herb garden! The rocks are too cute! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!!! Just came across your blog from BNOTP and I LOVE it. You're now on my reader. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through Savvy Southern Style and I love your herb garden and markers for your plants. Although I haven't been there, it kind of reminds me of a little spot in Italy. I also love the table and seats.

    Gretchen
    birdnestcottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is so pretty, and so are these markers! I've just discovered your blog, and am going to explore it more. Anne of Green Gables is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your garden a lot! Now I know whats on my list this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The superb idea of making markers by rocks at home. But some time might be they will destroy or might be not. So I never take any risk. I always purchase sturdy plant markers. They all are long-lasting and weatherproof markers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...